With the help of our partners who migrated from ThemeForest to Freemius, we managed to develop a very simple and proven migration process that anyone can follow.
Step I – Start to sell with Freemius
Follow the getting started guide to…
- Create an account
- Create the theme on Freemius
- Configure its plans and prices
- Integrate the theme with our SDK
- Update your site’s buy buttons to trigger the Freemius checkout
Step II – Migrating ThemeForest customers to Freemius
If you want to migrate your ThemeForest customers, you’ll need to take the following steps:
- Choose a transition date
- Using this WordPress plugin in order to create a page on your WP site where a customer can enter their Envato purchase code & email address to receive a Freemius license key. We recommend setting the license expiration with an additional 3 months and allowing customers whose license key has expired to get a Freemius key that expires in 3 months. The benefits are that you give a grace period to existing customers and also move non-paying customers to Freemius, which comes with a bunch of marketing automations that can help you convert them back to a paid subscription.
Creating users via the API is disabled by default. Therefore, for the WordPress plugin to work properly, please get in touch with our team via [email protected] with your theme details and ask to elevate your account’s permissions for the migration.
- Add an admin notice to the theme hosted on ThemeForest notifying your users about the upcoming transition with a link to the page where they can convert their license to a Freemius license.
- Push an update to the theme to notify customers about the upcoming change.
- Integrate the Freemius SDK into the ThemeForest theme and remove any previous updates & licensing mechanisms.
- Customers that will upgrade will be prompted to activate their Freemius license key.